Monday, June 1, 2009

The Idea of a dog

From: Kathy
Sent: Friday, 29 May 2009 2:01 p.m.
To: Sean Curham
Subject: I get a 'daily poem' sent to me and this was todays.

The Idea of a Dog
The idea of a Rottweiler grew legs
And walked. Its big, square head
Atop the solid, barreled torso
Looked up, waiting for instruction
Or embrace.
The idea was obedient,
Faithful, intimidating to others,
But the idea was lopsided.
So the idea developed a twin brother.
Now, in my head, I'd say "sit"
And they would, dogs in duplicate,
Each reflecting the other identically.
I could see myself walking the streets
Flanked by muscles moving in tandem
Over the powerful shoulders
Of my synchronized keepers.
Perhaps I'd redden my lips,
Wear sunglasses
And a very short skirt.

Frieda Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment