Monday, June 29, 2009

Doggy style



Shameless affection, doggy style

My dog is the lucky one -
ignorant of decorum.
Focused on her greedy need
for affection: determined
to make you aware of her
desire for your friendship.


She nudges – asking to be
petted and doesn’t take offence
when you say not now. She comes
back five minutes or five hours
later – when her need for touch
wells up within her again.


She licks – connecting with your
essence, and then can relax.
Watching from across the room,
she is attentive to mood,
your movements. Ready to join
and share with you in joy, grief.


I love that my dog conveys
simple faith so naturally.
I block, I worry. I take
not now for never, not me.


I want to love like my dog –
joyful, connected, able
to touch and share; all of me,
without shame, panic or pause.

Kathy Young

No comments:

Post a Comment